Europe, HQ USAFE)
The Chiemsee Leave Center
near Rosenheim, used by US Forces; beautiful aerial view,
Adolf Hitler commissioned the building of the Chiemsee Hotel
in 1937 (now the Lake Hotel) to impress dignitaries traveling
from his Eaglesí Nest in Berchtesgaden to the Munich airport.
The Park Hotel was added in 1938. After the war, AFRC took
over the resort to provide well-deserved rest and relaxation
to the thousands of service members still in Europe. The
two hotels and grounds have remained very much the same
over the years. The dining room contains most of the original
furniture, lighting fixtures and large Bavarian paintings.
The best-known artwork, a beautiful cast-bronze mermaid,
sits on the Chiemsee deck gazing out at the lake. She became
the hotelís symbol, emblazoned on employee nametags in the
early years. The mermaid also appears in the large clock
centerpiece on the hotelís west wall.