Artillery Group (Redstone)
submitted by Jim Ryan who served in Btry A, 1st Msl Bn,
Another photo from Ron Smith taken. It shows
a 1951 Mercedes-Benz parked in front of our Battery
A barracks. Note the 1961 US FORCES IN GERMANY license plate. (Color image of one is inserted at bottom right.) This car was first owned by PFC David C. Akins of Battery A Communications Section. When David left for home in December 1960, Ron Smith took it over, and drove it until he left for home in June 1961. Between the two of them, they covered a lot of miles and a lot of territory, including a trip to Holland. Too bad we didn't have a color photo. The car's color was a pale yellow. .